And the next contender is...............another Katana

Discussion in 'Scooter Projects' started by Stevep, Jul 21, 2013.

1. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Right then

This is the next one to be done
    [​IMG]
    Bought this a couple of weeks ago for the princely sum of £67.
    Its a '53 plate air cooled 50cc Katana
    Was owned by a young girl who came off and it spooked her something bad. She never wants to get on another one again.

It's not too bad by the standards of some scoots I've done.
    I've not even looked at the engine yet to see if it will start, but I'm hopeful.

Having a quick look over it needs:

Front and rear handlebar covers
    Front master cylinder
    Belt casing ( also noticed that the input shaft has been sheared through the securing nut so will need a new input shaft...............hmmmmmmmm..............)
    It has the lower belly pan plastics, but they have bits missing out of them so I'll have to replace them.

Apart from that, a few cracks and scuffs but nothing that's not fixable.

Thinking about doing it in the Lotus Racing colours, Black and Gold.
    High Gloss Black body panels with gold in strategic places to highlight areas and gold wheels

Whaddyathink?

2. antman1992

antman1992 Member

Rides:
    Aerox
    i really dont get why some people get spooked about getting back on a bike everytime i've came off i've landed on my arse just look around for like a minute and just laugh to myself get back on the bike and drive off tbh am more concerned about damages to the bike than myself haha

3. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Right then, this weeks work so far.

DSC_0505.jpg
    DSC_0506.jpg

Hmmm, little hole in the belt casing, wonder what caused that then????o_O

Ah. Ickle problem then.:eek:

DSC_0508.jpg

Busted input shaft.
    Not a problem for someone like me.;) Already bought another one in anticipation.

DSC_0509.jpg

Yeah...............don't think that'll fit somehowo_O

So off i went again trawling around looking for an input shaft. I think i finally found one. And it's spooked me somewhat, and got me thinking alot. The input shaft i think i need is from a Suzuki UX50. Found one at VE(uk) and have asked them to email details of its sizes before i order it.

On the brighter side I do have a replacement belt case

DSC_0512.jpg

Jeez............me and my projects:rolleyes:

scootzmadness likes this.
  4. Mark Emerson Trentham

Mark Emerson Trentham Well Known Member. Staff Member

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    Seen it time an time again - that one!,
    Think it's because mate,they shouldna been on a bike in the 1st place,an
    they don't have that natural instinct deep down that makes them intrinsically
    understand all the bit an pieces that can come with riding on a ped.

5. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

so i found another complete engine at a decent price, might be easier than finding a replacement shaft, trouble is it's a 200 mile round trip. Phones the seller to ask if he will box it so i can get it collected and he says no, it means he has to wait in for the courier. Miserable git.

6. scootermad1995projects

scootermad1995projects peds2011-_-16

i will be watching this as im doing a katana project myself, check mine out on my profile & keep up the good work! you got a bargain!

7. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Just had a peek at your katana, not bad, obviously been down the road on it but easily repaired. Just take your time with the prep work. A good finish is all in the preparation. As i think scooternoob has already said, 2k paint is best for spraying, most decent car paint suppliers (i use Jawal) will put the paint into a spray can for you and it's not much more than a can from Halfrauds. I'm already watching this thread, have been from the start.;)

8. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Restless restless restless:(
    Really want to crack on with this katana but reluctant to until i find a replacement input shaft. I'll be happier knowing the lump is fine before starting the body and wheels.
    I've even thought about putting the zip 70cc lump into it that i have lying around and having the 10" wheels on it.............still wondering.........what it might look like.o_O
    Wouldv'e been nice if that arse had agreed to box the other engine up for me:mad:

9. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Another thought, buy the gear-up kit, make sure the input shaft is the right size obviously, then, when that is fitted, and it actually moves the bike, put the 70cc upgrade on. Already got a 19mm dellorto to go on it sooooo...........thinkingthinkingthinking.......................

10. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Just had a text off the bloke with the complete engine who wouldn't box it for me.............he is now willing to take a card payment and post it. Guess he didn't sell it then..................

11. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Nice little bonus today, many thanks to little chris at Ad ren a lin.:cool:
    Got him to open the box on the malossi gear up kit for the katana '98 AC and measure the input shaft for me. Perfect match on the one i have that is sheared on the threads, so that is now winging it's way to me in the post. Should have it before the weekend.:D
    And the price................less than £40:):):):):)
    I can see which way this Katana is going to go.......................:rolleyes:

12. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

That got round the do not link thingy. Sorry moderaters.:rolleyes:

13. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Holy Crap, the gear up kit arrived today! Nice one Ped stop and royal mail.
    DSC_0513.jpg

Right then, in it goes.
    DSC_0514.jpg

And...............job done:)
    DSC_0515.jpg

Refilled with gearbox oil, no leaks, yippee.

14. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Right then, time to update this project.
    If anyone saw the last Katana I did, the blue and white one, well that sold. Really quickly. I mean like within an hour of it being advertised.
    Trouble is I forgot to pull the ad. Consequently I've had a phone from someone who wanted it desperately, but obviously he couldn't. So he asked if I had anything else and I told him about this one.
    Pop round I said and have a look; it's not very pretty but it runs ok, the panels are off and it needs re-painting and work doing.
    So round he comes with his son and his mate.
    AND HE WANTS THE BIKE. SOON.
    How long til it's finished? he asks.
    About three weeks says I.
    "Great" says his son, "i'll wait for it to be done. What colour is it going to be?"
    Black and Gold says I
    "Na" says he.
    "If i'm having it can I pick the colours?"
    OH S**T.
    Black and PURPLE he wants.
    Ok says I, and on that his dad pulls £200 out his pocket as a deposit.

Christ, that means I've gotta get a spurt on. So started tonight in earnest. Engine out and onto the bench.

DSC_0020.jpg DSC_0021.jpg DSC_0022.jpg
    Filthy little bugger innit.

So I started stripping it, because I have to change the crank bearings and seals each time i do an engine, regardless, and sod me look what i found:

DSC_0023.jpg DSC_0024.jpg

Bloody shame though because it's only the standard size 40mm.
    Looks like it's the Ironhead Barrel and head, if memory serves.
    So that got me thinking, I wonder if they did the crank upgrade?
    Was going to stop for dinner but curious so going to carry on a bit. Must find out.
    It looks like the standard crank, and it's in pretty good nick. I don't know whether it is an upgrade or not, it's got numbers on it but i cant trace them to anything, and the con rod has a 'P' on it as well, which i also cant find anything about, so if anyone can shed some light I would be grateful.
    I might take it in to PJ's in wollyhampton to have the main bearing changed, it feels like it might be getting a little side play in it.

DSC_0028.jpg DSC_0029.jpg DSC_0030.jpg

Found a set of new bearings in the storage boxes, just gotta order new seals and a crankcase gasket and I might as well put a new piston in while I'm there. The other is starting to show signs so better safe than sorry.
    All the bolts and screws came out with very little effort and nothing broke surprisingly, even the starter motor bolts didn't snap on me.

DSC_0026.jpg DSC_0025.jpg

So there you go, all stripped and ready to start cleaning, then prepping for the paint, the sum of its component parts.
    Will continue over the next couple of days.

Attached Files:

15. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

No idea how that last photo got there:confused::confused::confused:

16. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Piece of cake, no special tools.
    After taking ALL bolts out put nut back onto end of crank shaft, variator side, and make sure it's flat with the threads. Then whack it with a rubber/rawhide/copper mallet.
    Knocking short side of casing off is easier.

17. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Na, you aint gonna whack it that hard man, just firm enough to separate the halves. Doesn't damage the crank at all.
    Unless you don't put the nut on of course. That's the key.
    Having the nut for the variator flush with the end of the thread stops you damaging it. It's a good little trick.
    Don't try and separate them in one foul blow, that would require a right whack, tap it firmly several times.

18. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Cleaning started

DSC_0035.jpg

That belt cover took a lot to get clean....ish. Going to have to go over it with a flap wheel i think or you will see the pitting under the paint.
    Had to pack up at 7:45 tonight, need to order some parts for it. Crank case gasket, bearing seals, cylinder gasket set and a new piston i think. Still need to get right into the corners of the parts prior to painting, but will do the larger case half tomorrow and then all three together.
    I was going to say "all three at once" but I know what you lot are like, it'll be a case of 'how many hands you got then..............must have loads of arms to do three at once' HAHA:rolleyes:
    Hell of a difference once everything is even remotely clean. Hate filthy engines.
    And i got the piston size wrong i know, it's 41mm, not 40mm.

19. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

God, I love Simply Bearings. Just ordered the crank seal gaskets and a couple of others slightly thicker by 1mm, £12.34 inc vat and delivery.:D

20. scootermad1995projects

scootermad1995projects peds2011-_-16

looking sweet! might have to-do this to my engine ;)